Heti hírek, új álláshirdetések és vélemények

YMCA-alkalmazotti értékelés itt: Olympia, WA

Munkakör megnevezése
Összes
Munkavégzés helye
Olympia, WA29 értékelés
29 értékelést találtunk a keresésnek megfelelően
Mind a(z) 29 563 értékelés megtekintése
Munkahelyi kultúra
I have worked at more than one YMCA, and the first thing I would say is that the work experience and the fairness of pay depends quite a bit on the community where the Y is located. However, in my most recent work at the Y, I have found the pay to be an insult; I get paid minimum wage for work that cost me thousands of dollars and years of study to qualify for, and there are no opportunities to address that or change that. It does not make me feel valued or appreciated at all. On the other hand, at the Y where I previously worked, the pay, while lower than the average in the community, was at least close to being on a par, and I had many opportunities to obtain additional trainings free of charge and courtesy of the Y, as long as I agreed to continue teaching there. I was encouraged to innovate and share my knowledge with others. It felt like a family, and I felt supported. So I would say it really depends on the community where your Y is located, and, probably, how many members there are and how much their memberships are being subsidized, as well as what other community and corporate partnerships your Y has.

On the other hand, I feel that the Y is a really great service to the community and I love what the Y offers to the community, and that is why I continue to work there. And although I rarely interact with the management, they are friendly. My sense is that they are well aware of the shortcomings of the local Y as an employer but they can't do anything about it - not that they complain or bad-mouth the Y!
Pro érvek
Free membership (more of a pro pre-COVID)
Kontra érvek
Low pay, no opportunities for advancement.
Munkahelyi kultúra
Working with the children before and after school was fine. For the amount of schooling required for a site director the pay is severely low. It is very hard to call out sick ever because consistent staffing is always an issue. You may not get the same group leaders weekly or possibly could have a 16 year old who is legally not allowed to be left alone with children. During the pandemic we were not paid hwazzard pay although we were still working
Children are the future
Kontra érvek
Low pay, inconsistent staff and support
Munkahelyi kultúra
Working at the YMCA is easy over all, yet there is plenty of little nuanced things you have to learn in the computer system called DAXKO. Ive almost been working there a year and I still have tings I have to ask y manager about periodically. I think that we should be compensated more for all the things that we are charged with looking after.
Munkahelyi kultúra
No complaints, it was good place to work. Decent benefits. It pays to work with healthy like-minded individuals in a non-proft business. It was rewarding to serve the community.
Korábbi munkáltató értékelése
Segíts másoknak a tapasztalataid megosztásával.
Munkahelyi kultúra
The staff was fantastic and so were the children/families. The classroom settings were small and you felt at home here. It was sad to hear the place was remodeled and head start took over the building. I miss working here!
Munkahelyi kultúra
Most of the time we were understaffed because it was hard to keep staff on and subsitutes for staff were rare to actually get.
When were were in ratio we were sometimes called away from our site to go to other understaffed sites- which made both sites understaffed.

Kids are great, but having 60+ of them with only 3-4 staff? It makes life hard

Can't call in sick most of the time, you gotta go until you are barely in ratio enough to leave.

The staff can be great and fun and helpful, and others are there just to make money, and they don't really help out. its horrible.

A staff i worked with had a medical issue with their leg, and needed to sit after standing for a long while- but someone from management yelled at them saying they needed to stay standing. So workplace culture is hit or miss.

with some schools, there are too many kids for the amount of staff and the space given to us- especially if it rains, that takes away any and all playground time because we don't want wet miserable kids to be cold for 4-5 hours until their parents pick them up.

I learned how to clean up anything a body might produce that isn't healthy to be out in an open area during my time there. I learned how to get sharpie out of the floor and how to entertain kids for half an hour if nothing is ready for them.

I learned how to make up a project on the spot based on what little supplies we are given.

Many people quit after a day or a week, because we aren't given actual training of how to manage children and angry adults. they tell us ideal situations to deal with, but if an angry father comes
 - több...
Munkahelyi kultúra
The YMCA has run long enough that a typical day goes along smoothly with little emergencies to handle. I've learned a lot about how to interact with others, and my own hidden talents. Management tends to be good over all, but there is a lack of communication between departments. A lot of teenagers working there that still need to discover their work ethic. Hardest part is probably having to assert authority over much older patrons. But the most enjoyable is seeing happy families as a result of your hard work.
Free Membership to YMCA and all it's facilities
No healthcare
Munkahelyi kultúra
I worked for the Y for over 2.5 years, but towards the end, there was management over turned and it ruined it for me. I absolutely loved my supervisor up until we switched facilities, but that happens sometimes. I had always felt supported, comfortable to ask questions as needed, etc.
Munkahelyi kultúra
I'd get up early to drive to the sites, set up the site, sign kids in, help them with last minute homework, do a few activities, have them wash their hands, and have them eat breakfast while I clean up. The afternoon, I'd come over from class to wherever I was assigned, and set up the afternoon Y-care. I'd then sign in the kids and follow whatever schedule the usual site directors set up.
Munkahelyi kultúra
It's a mix for the YMCA. It is a great starting job, where you learn great entry level skills and lessons. However, management is high turnover and unorganized. There is high stress and drama.
Munkahelyi kultúra
As a non-profit, management is very poor as nobody there gets paid enough to do the job. This trickles down to the individual workers and they never see raises. I worked there 5 ears and had 2 pay raises that totaled LESS than $1 and one of them was only because minimum wage went up in the state. Semi-rewarding, easy scheduling but not great work.
Kontra érvek
Constant schedule changes week to week
Munkahelyi kultúra
I worked in the after school program. The only negative I found was the disproportionate amount of money paid as compared to the amount of work given. My job was handling 25 children and two employees, while maintaining and creating a curriculum. This was technically a part time job which wound up having many more hours worked from home than was available for pay. (We got 10 hours paid at home work) I was able to get a higher paying job from a fast food retailer.
Pro érvek
Enjoyable work enviroment, great staff, awesome children!!!
low pay, unskilled workers
Munkahelyi kultúra
It is a good starting position in the child management field. Have to fine way to get children to learn. That every child is different, and the parenting style too.
Interaction with children
Parents
Munkahelyi kultúra
This experience was by far my favorite because of the impact with working with kids. I was happy working for the YMCA and only left because of the low pay and low hours with little to no benefits.
Munkahelyi kultúra
The employees at the YMCA felt like family. I learned just as much as I was in charge of teaching with the children. There was a huge focus on helping the community. I loved it!
Kids love you
Kids are crazy
Munkahelyi kultúra
The South Sound YMCA organization as a whole is amazing. The only bad thing I would say about it, is that its Childcare workers are paid minimum wage for work that is far above minimum effort, stress, and dedication. If its childcare workers were paid more, it would be a more friendly environment for everyone.
Pro érvek
Interaction with kids. Money.
Managament, Pay, Stress
Munkahelyi kultúra
At the time of my employment, I can say that my direct superior was the best I have ever had. It may not seem like much, but as aquatics coordinator, she was inspiring with her work ethic and that was something that was the strong point of my time there.
However, given that the aquatics department was being merged with another department, I was able to see much of the inner workings of the Briggs YMCA. My experience with management was, in these words: incompetent, lazy, and at times unqualified for the job.
Great Staff, Supervisors & Coordinators
poor management
Munkahelyi kultúra
Yes, I said it. It is a cult that is disingenuous regarding their narrative to the staff as well as members. They feed off the good hearts of employees to reduce their overheard. Motto was if you're here for money you are in the wrong place
Munkahelyi kultúra
There is very low support from management, there are high demands and supervisors on many occasions are no where to be found. Expectations are unclear are undefined, training is insufficient.
Munkahelyi kultúra
My team at the Y was outstanding. A great group of people and fun work environment. It is a wonderful company to work for. Working in member services you had the ability to meet many new people and make life long connections.
Munkahelyi kultúra
don't expect much training or support when you first start in childcare. They toss you into a job and hope you'll figure it out yourself. There is no room for any advancement.