YMCA-alkalmazotti értékelés erre a pozícióra: Swim Instructor

966 értékelést találtunk a keresésnek megfelelően Mind a(z) 22 619 értékelés megtekintése
It was a job
Lifeguard and Swim Instructor (Volt alkalmazott) –  Greenville, WI2018, szeptember 12.
A typical day at work involved sitting in a chair and trying not to die of boredom. I found teaching to be a much more enjoyable way to pass the time. I learned about conflict resolution, punctuality, and professionalism at the job, as well as some useful first aid knowledge. The management was okay. The hardest part of the job is the gnawing, soul-crushing boredom that comes from life-guarding. It is hard just to do that much nothing, but you will never get paid more for doing less. The most enjoyable part was the end of the day, but also working with children teaching them how to swim.
Is a job
Boring, low salary
Experience as a Swim Instructor
Swim Instructor (Volt alkalmazott) –  Tampa, FL2018, szeptember 10.
Before I did my job interview I did a swim test to see if I was able to swim 6 strokes, freestyle, backstroke, butterfly, breaststroke, sidestroke, and elementary backstroke. After that and the interview, I had to obtain certifications and training. The YMCA I worked at didn't do American Red Cross CPR certification class instead, they used American Safety and Health Institute certification class. You would also have to be swim instructor certified.

Once I finished obtaining my certifications I was able to shadow a swim instructor and how they teach lessons. After shadowing I was scheduled with my own group lessons.

A typical day of work is me coming in and setting up the pool, bringing toys out, signs of what classes are where, and roping off a section of the pool. I would teach a class for 40 minutes, get a 10-minute break, teach another class for 40 minutes, and so on. I would teach either on Mon/Wed or Tues/Thurs or on Sat. So I only taught group lessons worked 3 hours twice a week unless I got assigned private lessons.

I would teach all ages, mostly preschool and school age. Time to time I taught adults and teens in a class, or in a private lesson, but it was quite rare. Don't expect to be out of the water and telling the students what to do. Majority of the time you are in the water showing the students how to do the skill. In general, it's good to know what skill you are teaching and have confidence in not only yourself but also your student.

Dealing with parents/guardians is kind of like customer service. You have to update their child on how they are doing,
  több... what they can do to improve, etc. On the third lesson, we would have to create mid-session progress reports on what skills their child has learned so far and what they can improve. On the last lesson, we create something similar but it also recommends what stage they should be in. A lot of parents would be understanding if the child had to redo the stage because sometimes they just need a little practice, But there are some parents who would be upset at me wondering why they didn't go to the next stage. It would be very helpful if the parents/guardians also helped with their children learning to swim. Even just a little bit of practice outside of lessons can do the most.

I would also work with other swim instructors and lifeguards. It's fairly easy to know one another only because there would normally be a small number of us.

Overall I really liked working for the YMCA, and would totally recommend if you are interested in teaching swimming.
  kevesebb
Pro érvek
Discounted YMCA membership, passionate about teaching
Short breaks, upset parents/guardians
Munkahelyi kultúra
Relaxed, fun part-time summer job
Lifeguard & Swim Instructor (Volt alkalmazott) –  Norcross, GA2018, szeptember 10.
Worked as a lifeguard. One indoor pool that was never too crowded, so I was never in much stress about having to save anyone. Days with camp was challenging but entertaining. Also gave swim lessons
Munkahelyi kultúra
Great part-time or temporary summer work.
Lifeguard/Swim Instructor (Jelenlegi alkalmazott) –  Palestine, TX2018, szeptember 10.
This summer working for the YMCA as a lifeguard has been a wonderful experience. I’ve taught over 100 students in swimming and watched them advance from blowing bubble to swimming across the pool with proper technique. I’ve been on stand on busy days near maximum capacity and had slow days with 20 people in the water.
Active YMCA membership while employed
Kontra érvek
On busy days, short breaks
Munkahelyi kultúra
open and relaxed environment, with cautious attitudes
Lifeguard/Swim Instructor (Jelenlegi alkalmazott) –  Columbus, GA2018, szeptember 10.
The YMCA has helped me socialize, and collide with others. All the way from having a good time, to completely being in a focused demeanor to either help a member, or co-worker when needed.
solid break, comfortable workplace
being short-handed
Munkahelyi kultúra
Couldn't move up within the company
Lifeguard and Swim Instructor (Volt alkalmazott) –  San Mateo, CA2018, szeptember 8.
This was my first official job as a lifeguard. The main reason for leaving was that I was offered a better job at a larger pool that was outdoors with more opportunities for advancement.
Munkahelyi kultúra
Productive and fun workplace, great employees and work environment
Lifeguard, Swim Instructor, Supervisor (Jelenlegi alkalmazott) –  Charlotte, NC2018, szeptember 7.
A typical day during the summer is very busy, with camp and regular patrons mixing in. We always have to be vigilant, but having proficient guards around you always helps. As a supervisor, making sure your guards are getting the help they need while in the heat is a must, and I try to do that, and my fellow supervisors are good at doing that as well. The guards at Simmons YMCA are always on top of everything, and also create a fun work environment on and off the stand. The hardest part of the job is the heat, but if we have plenty of water and assistance from others, the heat is made easier. The most enjoyable part of the job are the people, meeting different types of people that come in, and also making friends with employees while on the job. The YMCA was a valuable experience, and I would most likely refer a friend to work at the Simmons YMCA in the future.
Pro érvek
Pool access, great work environment
Hot conditions
Fun place to be
Swim Instructor (Volt alkalmazott) –  Caldwell, ID2018, szeptember 5.
Even as an employee, I enjoyed being at the YMCA. My managers and coworkers were awesome, and I truly loved teaching kids how to swim. I would come into work and set up for my classes. I'd have like 4 half hour classes. Honestly, the parents can be difficult sometimes. I would've stayed at that job if I would've had more hours.
Free membership
Kontra érvek
My particular job had very few hours with it
A good place to work
Lifeguard/Swim Instructor (Volt alkalmazott) –  LaPorte, IN2018, szeptember 5.
I enjoyed my job and all that I did, but there was a problem juggling work and school. I had a maximum of five hours to work per week, and it wasn't working out well. Patrons weren't listening when I was guarding and it was a stressful position.
Great High School Job
Lifeguard/Swim Instructor (Volt alkalmazott) –  Wilbraham, MA2018, szeptember 4.
Great place to work while in school, especially if you love working with people and kids in particular. Great organization but probably would not be a career for me.
Good first job
Lifeguard and Swim Instructor (Volt alkalmazott) –  Powhatan, VA2018, szeptember 4.
Been with the YMCA since I was 15 and developed a lot of leadership and communication skills while being a lifeguard and swim instructor. Friendly members and staff!
Pro érvek
Free pool and gym membership
Hot, rushed breaks
Munkahelyi kultúra
A quick job for a high schooler who just wants a few extra bucks.
Swim Instructor (Volt alkalmazott) –  Avon, OH2018, szeptember 3.
Pay was absolutely awful, minimum wage, as were hours. I was hardly given more than 7 a week. I was saving for a car and there was no way I could stay there, left after working for a few months.
Frequent Breaks
Pay, Training, Hours
Munkahelyi kultúra
Fun and exciting work environment
Lifeguard/Swim Instructor (Volt alkalmazott) –  Dixon, IL2018, augusztus 30.
I would highly recorecommend a job at the YMCA. In my experience working there, I felt accepted from my first day on the job. The team was full of wonderful, caring coworkers who all helped each other out when needed. It is a great environment to work in.
Munkahelyi kultúra
Good place to work for but some things should change
Swim Instructor (Volt alkalmazott) –  Bellflower, CA2018, augusztus 30.
Wish we got more hours to work as Swim Instructors and that the pay was better. Also wish we got better swim suits to work in. The ones we got started wearing out a month into the job.
Can be great!
Lifeguard/Swim instructor (Jelenlegi alkalmazott) –  Wichita, KS2018, augusztus 29.
All depends on management. The pay is poor for aquatics. IF you have 3+ years you might make $10. This is the most discouraging part. However, I was always able to be honest and open with staff members.
Munkahelyi kultúra
great place to take your kids
Swimming instructor (Volt alkalmazott) –  Simi Valley, CA2018, augusztus 27.
If you want your kids to enjoy swimming and learn how to do so quickly this is the place to go. My entire family has been going here for years and a newly added member is the reason over twenty of my little cousins are already in the water darting around its great Thank you YMCA!
Working for the YMCA
Swim Instructor/Lifeguard Instructor (Volt alkalmazott) –  North Royalton, OH2018, augusztus 27.
I first started at the YMCA in 2002 as a Lifeguard and Swim Instructor. My supervisor was extremely supportive and encouraging, and believed in my ability to be a leader. Through her, I eventually became a lifeguard instructor. When I moved, I sought work at another Y, because I loved working for the organization.

The culture at work was always focused on doing one's best - indeed, the core values of the Y are Caring, Honesty, Respect, Responsibility, and Faith. I saw this reflected every day at the Y.

For me, the most rewarding aspect of my time at the Y was watching people grow and succeed in their endeavors, be it learning to swim or learning to save lives, and knowing that I had a helping hand in their experience.
Pro érvek
watching people grow and develop
part-time offers no benefits
Munkahelyi kultúra
Aquatics (both part-time and full-time roles)
Lifeguard, Swim Instructor (Volt alkalmazott) –  Madison, WI2018, augusztus 25.
My time with the YMCA of Dane County left me with mixed opinions. I began lifeguarding and instructing lessons in the spring of 2014. I felt that I had great training and management for the first year and a half of working there. (There was one supervisor in that time that was let go for abrasive behavior towards staff members but other than that, we had a great general management of the Aquatics department.) In Fall of 2015, I stepped up into more of a leadership role. Lots of tasks and responsibilities were put onto me, which began to wear on me after awhile. I did not always feel supported by my director and upper management, but I absolutely loved the staff members that I got to work with. This is also a very rewarding job! My favorite part was developing relationships with families and members, especially those in the swim lessons program that I had the pleasure of teaching for several years. My biggest complaint is HR. HR is constantly dropping the ball and allowing incidents to slip through the cracks. These incidents are committed by repeat offenders and are usually the same events over and over again. Someone needs to enforce the policies (that employees sign off on when they are hired) when they are broken. The management team is certainly not doing so, meaning it then becomes HR's job. Additionally, incident reports (especially ones involving employee behavior) are not taken seriously. That is concerning, especially since management is not present at the branches during these times.
If you are looking for a place to work where you will have fun and make lasting
  több... personal and professional relationships, this is the place to be. The pay has also become more competitive in the Madison area.  kevesebb
Pro érvek
Rewarding job, free membership, Get to work with kids, inclusive environment, decent pay
Kontra érvek
Human Resources, lack of support from management, health insurance isn't great
Munkahelyi kultúra
Swim Instructor (Volt alkalmazott) –  Nashua, NH2018, augusztus 25.
I enjoyed working at the YMCA. The management was always kind and supportive of its employees. I am thankful for my experience here and would recommend it as a temporary job for high school students.
Munkahelyi kultúra
Excellent workplace with good management
Lifeguard and Swim Instructor (Volt alkalmazott) –  Prescott, AZ2018, augusztus 22.
My boss was very flexible with my hours during high school. I was still able to work 30 hours per week, even during the school year because the hours were very flexible. It was an awesome work experience and I would definitely recommend
Igényelt profil

Szeretnéd megtudni milyen itt dolgozni?

Kérdésem van