Barnes & Noble Alkalmazotti bírálat

Mind a(z) 3 233 értékelés megmutatása
Munkahelyi kultúra
The best management team I've ever had the pleasure to work for.
Bookseller (Volt alkalmazott) –  Fort Lauderdale, FL2018, február 13.
I had the honor of working at the Barnes & Noble store in Fort Lauderdale. The management was simply brilliant. I've worked in a lot of places over the past 35-years. Nowhere have I dealt with a more proactive, responsive and committed team of managers. Of course, everyone would like more hours, but they tell us going in not to expect that, and there are opportunities to advance. Bottom line: if everyone is doing their job everyone's job is that much easier. I was amazed at the extent to which everyone, from the top down, consistently pulled their oars in the same direction. The feeling of putting a book into a customer's hands is something special. Folks who work there take pride in their store, and that makes the menial tasks that much easier to tend. It's a great place to work, especially if you have a love for words.
Pro érvek
A great team spirit, wonderful environment.
Kontra érvek
Tough to get more hours.
Hasznos volt ez az értékelés?Igen 2Nem 1Jelentés
Highly Stressful Environment
Head Cashier (Volt alkalmazott) –  Nashua, NH2018, február 13.
As competitors such as Amazon grow increasingly threatening to the remaining retailers, corporate culture struggles to survive. Hours are cut during slow seasons, and many days often are understaffed. Management has a 'team player attitude' but does not provide any actual resources to assist in well-rounded job performance. In other words: they ask you to aim for the stars, but start you in the gutter. A polished company from the exterior, typical corporate America within. Fine as a seasonal set-up, though not over long periods of time.
good discounts
Kontra érvek
late hours, understaffed, high stress
Great Environment
Bookseller/Cashier (Volt alkalmazott) –  Weslaco, TX2018, február 13.
Great fun environment where I got to assist college students and staff with their needs for their college courses. I really enjoyed the leadership roles that my supervisor expressed. Great job especially if you need flexibility while attending college.
Hasznos volt ez az értékelés?Igen 1Nem 1Jelentés
Great job, terrible company
Music/Merchandise Manager (Volt alkalmazott) –  Johnson City, TN2018, február 13.
Barnes and Noble went from advocation localization to becoming a huge toy store that sells books. Their corporate professionals do not do a good job of preparing for the future and consistently use nepotism for internal positions. I felt less and less supported every year I worked there. They do not replace vacated management positions and they eliminate department positions prematurely. I would never work there again.
Fun and Calming
Children's Lead Bookseller (Jelenlegi alkalmazott) –  Lake Grove, NY2018, február 13.
Barnes and Noble was a fun and calming work environment. They were pretty intense about customer service and up-selling. However, you receive a lot of recognition for good work. Management was caring and supportive.
Pro érvek
Book loan program. Employee Discount. Benefits based on work preformance.
Kontra érvek
not many available full time positions
Hasznos volt ez az értékelés?IgenNem 1Jelentés
Book Seller
Bookseller (Volt alkalmazott) –  Philadelphia, PA2018, február 13.
Worked there for months.
-- Amazing People
-- Top Management listens to you
-- Friendly Atmosphere
-- Coach and work life balance
-- Compensation & Benefits
Very relaxed work environment
Supervisor (Jelenlegi alkalmazott) –  New Haven, CT2018, február 13.
A typical day at work involves ringing out customers, making sure the sales floor is clean, helping customers if they need it, processing and shipping online orders, receiving UPS shipments of books and checking them in, stocking the floor with books and clothes, opening and closing the store, and balancing the cash drawers.
Pro érvek
Relaxed work environment, doesn't get too busy
Kontra érvek
The management is not good at their job
Very friendly staff
Café Server (Jelenlegi alkalmazott) –  Braintree, MA2018, február 13.
The staff is very friendly and helpful with new hires. The managers are also very nice. Everyone gets along very well. Cafe is typically very busy, since we serve Starbucks handcrafted beverages. We do have to try to up sell every customer in line so that's a bit difficult sometimes.
employee discount
Kontra érvek
short breaks, not enough coverage
Munkahelyi kultúra
Fun at a store level but everyone hates corporate
Bookseller (Volt alkalmazott) –  Surprise, AZ2018, február 12.
It is fun working with books though it is a retail job so the biggest drawback is that it only takes that one customer to ruin even the best of days. Schedules vary from week to week though they do try to have them out 3 weeks in advance. Recently hours are getting cut and additional work is being piled on the people who are there, a trend that I only foresee continuing. You really get the impression that the people making all the decisions only care about the bottom line and don't give a second thought to their hourly peons.
Pro érvek
store discount, books, fun people
corporate
Abrupt End
Receiving Manager (Volt alkalmazott) –  Sarasota, FL2018, február 12.
After 9 years of dedicated service, my position was eliminated abruptly. I lost my livelihood in an instant, along with many others in the company. Management works harder than they are compensated. The people who work there are great. Corporate is the issue. Barnes and Noble is no longer the wonderful company to work for as it was nearly a decade ago.
Pro érvek
Great people to work with.
Kontra érvek
Decisions are made with investors in mind first.
Hasznos volt ez az értékelés?Igen 4NemJelentés
Rollercoaster of Stress, Job Culture, and what business is
Receiving Manager (Volt alkalmazott) –  Plymouth Meeting, PA2018, február 12.
BN is one of the most varied places to work it's almost unbelievable. When you're busy there isn't enough help, there are more demands than normal and the stress levels drive you to the point of quitting. When the slow season hits there's nothing to do and it feels like you have too many people working.
The best part of working at BN is the people. Most employees and customers are book people, so even though you might be talking business or trying to add on sales to customers, you're really just talking about what everyone is passionate about: books.
The downside is work distribution. In our store of about 40 employees less than a dozen were given actual work to do. Only half of that were dependable people that would make sure things were done right and go out of their way to ensure things ran smoothly.
Going through our fair amount of turnovers for management, BN often hired outside of the company. Each time you had someone in an authoritative position telling employees how to do a job that they were untrained to do themselves (and had no interest in learning).
Pro érvek
Books. Usually relaxed atmosphere. Familiarity with customer and product.
Kontra érvek
Company more interested in saving money than making money.
Munkahelyi kultúra
Great benefits, no job security
Head Cashier (Volt alkalmazott) –  Shelby Charter Township, MI2018, február 12.
Company restructuring, was laid off after being with company for 7 years. Took over 6 years to get promoted. Good benefits, even for part time employees.
Heavy Lifting but a Lot of Fun
Receiving Manager (Volt alkalmazott) –  Mentor, OH2018, február 12.
I enjoyed the regular schedule of the Receiving Manager position. Organizational Skills and Time management are essential. In spite of the heavy lifting, I really enjoyed the work. The chance to see all the new Merchandise as it came out of the boxes was kind of like having Christmas every day. The management and staff I worked with were a wonderful team.
Exciting place to work
Store Manager (Jelenlegi alkalmazott) –  Scottsdale, AZ2018, február 11.
Great company to work for, really care about their employees. Love the products we sell and the ability to hand sell your favorites to customers and make them appreciate the books.
stuck in the 90s but pretending not to be
Bookseller (Volt alkalmazott) –  Beavercreek, OH2018, február 11.
management was soso, and managing your responses to your boss was laborious half the time but was reasonable the other half.

the emphasis on customer interactions and handselling was egregious and the focus on upselling products and memberships prevented genuine interactions with customers because the corporate motivations could not be truly veiled.

stock is generally automated by an algorithm leading to offensive displays. i routinely had to hide pro-fascist books due to customer complaints only to find them put back in their offensive places.
good discount
Kontra érvek
unstable schedule, minimum wage pay
Currently Employed
Merchandise Manager (Jelenlegi alkalmazott) –  Irvine, CA2018, február 11.
Management positions are challenging, with the expectation that you juggle quite a few responsibilities while being coverage on the bookfloor. Metrics must be met. The people are amazing, though.
Munkahelyi kultúra
Sales Associate (Jelenlegi alkalmazott) –  Los Angeles, CA2018, február 10.
I transferred from one store to another and spent the bulk of my time at the second location. Because the store was small it was a very hands on experience. I learned that it was publishers were those responsible for the prices of books and I took more pride in how our store did to meet our goal. It was a great experience.
Hasznos volt ez az értékelés?Igen 1Nem 1Jelentés
Bad place to work
Project Manager (Volt alkalmazott) –  New York, NY2018, február 10.
Cut throat, brutal management, highly stressful, ridiculous, insane, unnecessary nonsense, bad management, over the top, mean, nasty, unfair, inhumane.
Hasznos volt ez az értékelés?Igen 2Nem 2Jelentés
fabulous
Bookseller (Volt alkalmazott) –  Los Angeles, CA2018, február 9.
oh my god the most fabulous ever to work at. Management is amazing! My opinion is the same as everyone! My opinion matters! Your experience at B&N will not differ from mine
Hasznos volt ez az értékelés?Igen 2Nem 4Jelentés
Fun but low-paying
Bookseller (Volt alkalmazott) –  Chattanooga, TN2018, február 8.
Working at Barnes & Noble was the best job of my life. I miss it so much that I nearly cry every time I go back in to shop. The only reason why I left is that the pay is so low, you just can't survive on it. The few full time positions available were paid at the same rate of the part time ones.
Pro érvek
discount, great coworkers, great culture
Kontra érvek
low pay, no promotion opportunities
Hasznos volt ez az értékelés?Igen 4Nem 1Jelentés